Sunday 1 January 2017

How To Start 2017 The Right Way



I'm not really one for resolutions, the new year doesn't inspire me very much to change. I mean, why wait for a specific date in the calendar to improve your life and happiness? However I do like to make sure that I start 2017 on the right foot and identify what I want 2017 to be. 2016 was a bit of a shitty year for me and to be honest, the world as well. Therefore I definitely want to make sure that 2017 makes up for that and is a happier year!

Identify what was wrong in 2016 | Even if 2016 was a great year, identify what went wrong in the past 12 months or what you wouldn't like to take into 2017. This could be things like toxic friendships, bad habits, pessimism etc. Make sure you know what you want to change.

Split your goals into small steps | The classic example for this is exercising more. This is such a vague, overwhelming goal which makes it so much easier to give up on. By splitting your goals into manageable weekly or monthly habits e.g. go to the gym once a week, you can gradually build up on that and prevent feeling overwhelmed by big resolutions.

Treat yourself | That is, if you haven't put yourself on a new year spending ban! Treat yourself to a new piece of makeup in the January sales or something missed on your Christmas wishlist. It doesn't even have to be something tangible, book yourself a little experience like a small getaway! Treating yourself early in the year puts you in a positive mood to start 2017 in the right way.

Have something to look forward to | My grandma passed away in May and when I visited my grandad for Christmas he was telling me all about a holiday in Canada he's booked himself. He's had such a crap time and he told me he just needed something to look forward to to feel happier. I thought this was such an important thing to do! It doesn't have to even be a holiday, but maybe a visit to some distant family or a concert.

What are your tips to start the year off right?

xo

12 comments:

  1. My tips are to learn from mistakes from the last year and work out how to prevent them. Having something to look forward to is key, it just gives you more positivity and excitement!
    Dalal
    monochromedaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your grandad has a lovely holiday! He definitely deserve a break away. I love all these tips, especially treating yourself!

    Cyber Mermaids | Alternative beauty, fashion and lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great tips, I've never thought about assessing the year before and having a think about what went wrong and way but I think I will be having a think about that over the next few days! Happy New Year xx

    Jodie / jodiemelissa.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small goals are definately the best for resolutions. Loved the post xx

    Najida | The Average Gurl x
    www.theaveragegurl.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great tips & I totally agree with all of them! Thanks for sharing :)

    Nicole | The Glam Surge

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so helpful! I always struggle keeping my goals so I will definitely follow these tips xx
    http://blossomofhope.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete